Closing Date: 03 February 2023
Salary: R 358 217.64 per annum (Post level T12 of a Grade 4 Municipality)
- National Diploma in Safety Management or equivalent NQF 6.
- A SAMTRAC Certificate.
- A valid Code B Driver's license.
- Computer literacy (Office Applications)
- 3 years relevant experiences as an Occupational health and safety officer.
- Thorough knowledge of relevant safety, security and environmental legislation (OHS Act & COlD Act).
- Good human relations, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must work overtime/attend meetings after normal office hours when required
- Must perform duties in the whole municipal area.
- Ability to give attention to detail and ability to work under pressure.
- High level of responsibility and ability to deal with conflict situations.
- Fluent in at least 2 of the 3 languages spoken in the Western Cape, Afrikaans, English or IsiXhosa.
- Please note: A performance agreement is also applicable to this position whereby the employer reserves the right to institute a performance management program.
- Ensure that all work is done according to regulations (Occupational Health and Safety Act, Compensation for Occupational Injuries and Disease Act)
- Plans, prioritize and schedule OHSA and COIDA requirements
- Establish and enforce in conjunction with the Manager the needs, standards and norms of the Section
- Interact with the Immediate Superior continuously to establish an effective base of communication in the continuation of tasks
- Interact with Directorates to obtain views and opinions and to provide guidance with problem solving
- Give guidance to personnel with regard to Occupational Health and
- Safety training and utilization of support services and exercising discipline
- Liaise with organizations and Government Departments regarding requirements that will affect the Section
- Responsible to maintain, update and report to the Manager regarding statistical information such as ,COlD Statistics, Occupational Health and Safety appointment statistics, Training records on Health and Safety, Providing and keeping statistical information and records for inclusion in official reports and Statistics on departmental reports on OHS matters.
- Coordinate, implement and maintain a comprehensive occupational health and safety program and strategies designed in compliance with statutory obligations to prevent injuries in the workplace
- Prepare management directives and enforce compliance with health and safety standards, and maintain related manuals.
- Conduct inspections and investigations of workplaces, municipal premises and facilities to determine compliance with statutory legislation
- Visit and inspect specific workplaces, premises and facilities to observe potential and/or unsafe acts, conditions and hazards.
- Provide support associated with the implementation of procedures and measures to personnel in order to facilitate a safe and healthy working environment
- Establish Health and Safety Committees and appoint Safety Representatives for relevant workplaces.
- Attend to procedures associated with the occurrence and prevention of occupational injuries and ill health
- Receive reports of accidents, injuries and dangerous occurrences and determine its causes and make recommendations to improve recurrence prevention and controls.
- Participate in the delivery of awareness and educational programs on occupational health and safety approaches
- Identify specific training needs of employees and liaise with the Skills Development Officer and Management regarding the nomination of employees for training courses.
- Responsible to ensure that procurement is in accordance with Council's policy, rules, regulations, legislation and guidelines
- Receive and analyze assigned purchase requisitions for compliance with Council standards ensuring complete information, accuracy and that order parameters are clear and understood
- Give inputs with regards to capital and operational budget to Human Resource Manager
- Monitor the Sub Section’s budget expenditure against approved budget allocation in accordance with the MFMA
- Guiding the drafting of contracts and verifying details, terms and conditions, specifications to comply with prescribed policies, regulations and procedures
- Participating in the appointment process and briefing service providers on the term and scope of such appointments
- Co-ordinate specific administrative and reporting requirements associated with the key performance and result indicators of the functionality
- Prepare analytical, investigational and productivity reports referring to statistical data and qualitative information related to specific
- Investigations and complaints.
Senior Officer: OHS (450.08KB)
Last published 20 January 2023