The following measures is applicable to ensure that sufficient savings on water consumption occur:
1. Sufficient water as per water supply schedule.
2. Implement tariffs as per approved budget tariffs for moderate restrictions.
3. The mechanical irrigation of gardens is prohibited.
4. The irrigation of Gardens with a hose pipe is prohibited.
5. The irrigation or watering of all sport fields is prohibited
6. The washing of vehicles with a garden hose, except by a commercial enterprise whose business it is to wash cars, is prohibited.
7. The cleaning of any area by means of water is prohibited.
8. The filling of swimming pools is prohibited.
9. Water restrictions become effective immediately after being advertised in the media and in public places.
10. Any person who contravenes these restrictions is guilty of an offence and is, upon conviction, liable to a fine as published in the by-law or six months imprisonment.
11. Secondary offenders will be fined double the amount referred to in 10 above;
12. Where own water from a borehole or reservoir is used, the appropriate notice shall be displayed on the premises, e.g. “own water”.
13. Applications for exemptions are to be submitted to the Department: Technical Engineering Services for approval. Once approved, a written exemption shall be provided and individual applications assessed.
14. Each household shall be limited to 20 kilolitre per month.
15. Other users, businesses and the entertainment industries shall reduce monthly consumption by 20 % of the usage of the similar months the previous financial year. Failure to comply will result in a fine as published in the by-laws.
16. Industries shall reduce monthly consumption by 15 % of the use of the similar months of the previous financial year. Failure to comply will result in a fine as published in the by-laws.
17. Flow reducing devices shall be installed where the above limits are exceeded. Except for a registered indigent household, the offender will be charged for the cost of the installation.
18. That a restriction be placed on the usage of all private boreholes for irrigation purposes in the residential areas of Witzenberg as follows:
Gardens may only be watered on the following days between 17:00 to 19:00 (March to August) and 19:00 to 21:00 (September to February):
* Even numbered households: Mondays and Thursdays only; and
* Uneven numbered households: Tuesdays and Fridays only.
19. That the owner or occupier of any premises who intends to sink a borehole on such premises notifies the municipality on the prescribed form of such intention before work in connection therewith is commenced;
20. That the owner of any premises within the municipal jurisdiction upon which a borehole exists, or if the owner is not in occupation of such premises, the occupier thereof notifies the municipality on the prescribed form of the existence of a borehole on such premises and provide the municipality with such information in respect thereof as it may require;
21. That the resolution regarding the water situation in Witzenberg be published in the local newspaper and be distributed amongst the public by means of notice boards and flyers,
Informing the community that if found guilty for any form of transgression, Council will impose the applicable fines."
12 September 2017Last published 21 December 2017